On a Quest


I don't know if its the recent supply chain shortages to blame or what, but recently I've discovered that several of my ride or die skin care and makeup products have been discontinued! So I've been on a quest to find good replacements for these essential products - here's the product graveyard, and what I've been trying instead. 



bareMinerals Correcting Concealer 

Why oh why did they discontinue this!?! I have been using this concealer for years and loveeeeed it, it's the perfect shade for me (which is so hard to find) and goes on and layers with foundation so nicely. I'm truly devastated that this one is no longer around. Plus it seems like every brand is moving away from cream concealers to liquid concealers. For me, I find that liquid concealers are too pigmented and don't work well on their own. Some days I just want to dab a touch of concealer over my blemishes and go, and not do a full face of makeup. 

Here are a few alternatives that I have tried: 

  • Tarte Shape Tape - I tried out a few shades and found one I like, 16N Fair-light Neutral. Honestly I think I'm in between shades, this one is a bit on the light side, but it works. This concealer is very full coverage and therefore requires a full face of foundation to blend with. When I do full makeup I use the Shape Tape and love it. It just doesn't work for the days I want to touch up a few spots and not do my whole face. 
  • Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Brighten and Correct Duo - I tried out just about every cream concealer in Sephora recently trying to find a match for my skintone. The 'Brighten' end of this product is a great color for me, so I bought it. However, I've been finding that it doesn't stay well on my skin.  I prefer a cream concealer to a liquid (liquid tends to be too highly pigmented for use without a full face of makeup), but I find this concealer just does not stay in place long. 
  • It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye concealer - I loveee this stuff for covering dark circles and tired eyes. It really works so well. It is super super pigmented so you only need the tiniest bit, and it blends in really well. Again, this works better with a full face of foundation, and it doesn't work so well for blemishes. But using as directed, it's a great product. 

Tarte Deep Sea Collagen Super Serum

I have been using this collagen serum for about two or three years and really noticed how much it was doing for my skin when I stopped using it at one point. It really does help to keep my skin looking firm and my forehead lines less noticeable. 

  • Awake AHA Superstar 10% Acid Complex - I bought this recently to try as an alternative, and after a few uses I was liking it fairly well. I haven't given it enough time to really know if I see any results, but I like that it's not too heavy on my skin. 
  • The Outset Firming Vegan Collagen Prep Serum - I bought this on a recommendation I saw online, and I've only used it a few times so far but I like it way it feels on my skin. Not too oily, goes on nicely. I'll have to give it some more time to speak to the results. 
  • Tarte Maracuja Oil - this product did not work for me. First of all I did not like the smell of it, and when something on your face smells weird that's no fun! Also the oil is very thick and remained oily feeling on my skin. It might work for people with dry skin, but for me it was way too oily and left my skin feeling greasy all day. 


Proactive Emergency Blemish Relief 

Another product I have been using for yearsss, and suddenly I can no longer find it available at Sephora or other makeup stores. It is great for when you have a zit coming in and need to target that one spot. 

  • Skinfix Acne+ 2% BHA Acne Spot Treatment - I've been using this a bit recently. It can be hard to tell if it is working or not, or if I just have really stubborn zits. I don't like that this product leaves a white film behind, so you have to remember to clean it off before leaving the house or talking to people. I also wonder if the 2% will be as effective as the 5% I'm used to in the Proactive product. For now, it's better than nothing!
  • Peace Out Acne Healing Dots - I've used other brands of healing dots before, and again it's hard to tell if they're working sometimes. I'll give these a few more tries for sure. Patches like this are relatively subtle - I feel like I can get away with it over zoom - but I would not want to wear one in public, so they don't work for wearing with makeup and leaving the house. 



Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer 

I have loved this product for yearrrrs, how can they get rid of it?! I used it daily for a very long time, and still use it frequently even without makeup on top. It helps to brighten the under eye and plump the area. Just as I was about to run out I got really lucky and found two remaining kits at my local TJ Maxx that contained this product - so I scooped up both kits promptly (despite not wanting any of the other products in the kit lol) so at least I have a small stockpile for now! 

  • I have not found a good alternative yet! I just saw someone speaking about a Tula brightening eye balm which contains plumping caffeine, so I might have to check that out. 
  • In a pinch, the other products I've been use on the under eye recently are the Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado and the It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye concealer I mentioned above - those paired with teeny dash of the Iconic London Illuminator might have a nice brightening effect as well! 

And while we're here, a shoutout to the two fragrances I discovered lately and have been loving: the Dae Prickly Pear Hair + Body Perfume, which smells like a fresh clean summery scent that's not too overpowering but lasts all day. And the Ellis Brooklyn Bee perfume which smells like a couture version of my favorite LaVanila Pure Vanilla - sweet with vanilla notes but a touch more of a classic perfume undertone. 



Comments

Popular Posts